NEW NORMAL SCHOOL – Monday-Friday Onsite Schedule
Northside will welcome all students and staff back to our Preschool(2’s, 3’s, and pre-k) and K-8 campuses for in-person, on-campus instruction on Wednesday, September 9 for Orientation. Thursday, September 10 will be the first official day of school.
The K-8 campus school day runs from 8:15 am – 3:00 pm or 3:30 pm, depending on the program (Lower School or Middle School).
The Preschool hours vary by the program selected (half-day or full-day).
The community will follow specific health precautions which will be in accordance with our local, state, and federal requirements and will include, at a minimum, the following:
- Faculty and staff must attest to being symptom-free each day.
- Faculty and staff must wear appropriate face coverings (masks/shields).
- Per state health recommendations, we will require mask-use for older students at the K-8 campus.
- Parents must use the Magnus app to complete a daily Covid-19 health tracking survey for their child(ren).
- Periodic health checks will occur. We purchased temperature guns for each classroom and thermal cameras for each entrance.
- We will slightly stagger arrival and dismissal times. There will be a siblings’ window for drop-off. Tardiness will not be permitted; students must arrive during their specified time.
- Maintenance staff will disinfect shared surfaces and equipment between uses.
- UV light wands and UV toy boxes will be used to sanitize hard to clean items.
- Plexiglass screens will be used to encourage distancing.
- We are reducing or, in some cases, eliminating shared materials.
- Class sizes are limited and desks are spaced the recommended distance apart.
- Teachers will rotate rather than students whenever possible.
- Classrooms have been equipped with air purifiers.
- Upgraded water fountains will accept water bottles.
- We are limiting and restricting access to areas of our campuses to maintain safety.
- Hallways and stairwells will be marked to promote social distancing.
- Students will eat lunch in classrooms to reduce risk.
- There will be no traditional field trips – no bus or subway.
We recognize that there may be scenarios where campus would be open, but some families or staff may not be comfortable returning at that time, or families or staff may be in quarantine/isolation due to circumstances related to Covid-19. Our goal is to provide a seamless transition between these scenarios and make instruction available to all students during these periods.
Unique among schools, Northside has the capability to live stream our classes using the innovative Swivl technology which allows students off-campus to safely experience the in-person classroom environment from afar.
Blended learning, where some K-8 students are receiving instruction via our remote learning platform and some are receiving instruction on campus, does not change our mission or our commitment to providing a rich, engaging educational experience. Northside’s blended learning model combines synchronous (live) instruction with asynchronous (accessible anytime) instruction in a schedule intentionally designed to provide a healthy school/life balance.
Following the recommendations from local public health officials, we are prepared should there be an interruption to on-campus learning. In the event our local community experiences a spike in Covid-19 cases, and an interruption of physical operations occurs, the K-8 campus will promptly shift to remote learning. In response to parental feedback, students will be sent home with Go-Bags equipped with workbooks, manipulatives, readers, and other resources which will allow for a greater balance between screen time and more traditional modes of learning.